Friday, May 2, 2008

Peave....

So, I don't understand why people have to make judgements or comments about how little or how much somebody's childbirth must have hurt. Especially OTHER mothers. Was at a party talking to a nice fellow mother and we were discussing our birthing situations (which isn't really necessary at social functions, but somehow it manages to come up). Well, I explained how I had a planned C-section because my son was breech. So, she proceeds to say "So, that was pretty much PAINLESS compared to my 7,000 hour labor and the fact that they had to give me oxygen because the pain was so blinding, blah, blah, blah and pain and blah and ouch and it hurt, blah" WHAT? Ok, yes, my c-section was PAINLESS....if PAINLESS means having your already stretched out stomach sliced open from hip to hip, having all of the muscles in your core torn through in order to yank out a 9 pound baby and then having your muscles and skin sewn back up and stapled together. THEN, you are expected to walk laps around the maternity ward of the hospital as you are told to "stand up straight" as the stitches that are holding your upper half of your body and the lower half of your body together feel as though they are RIPPING out. (Much like I believe it would feel if you were pulled apart by being tied to two vehicles....NICE) THEN, not to mention you are also visited EVERY 2 hours by a rough handed nurse who wants to push as hard as she can down on your already torn apart stomach to "check to make sure everything is okay". OH yeah, and you have to take care of a newborn through it all. So, yes, nice lady-mother-person at the party.....my c-section was virtually PAINLESS.

Why do people say some things? Ok, done venting. Sorry to have possibly convinced my friends who are not yet mothers to abandon the idea completely. :) Have fun!

I've decided that my blog should be called "Cynical Crabby Butt"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anyone who thinks a c-section is an easier or painless birth is an idiot. Sure, it might be painless for the few hours when you are drugged up during surgery and afterwards. But the recovery? There are 7 layers of tissue that have to heal. There's a reason they keep c-section moms in the hospital so long as opposed to vaginal delivery. Plus you can't barely do ANYTHING for 6 weeks afterwards (like lift more than 10 lbs). Not to mention sneezing, coughing, and laughing. That hurts - a lot!

Amanda said...

I may not have a child, but in NO WAY would I think that a SURGERY would be painless.

Silly lady from the party.